1. Do you support re-aligning municipal and regional transportation plans and investments to meet the provincial government’s CleanBC target to “reduce distances travelled in light-duty vehicles by 2030 compared to 2020?
I do not have sufficient information to respond. I would look to View Royal staff for their opinions and input, particularly the engineers who deal with traffic. I am not convinced that this is a reasonable plan for an island where everything has to be imported and transported.
2. Do you support making the default speed limit 30 km/h for streets without centrelines?
No, I do not support the default speed limit. Each area has to be assessed individually not with a blanket decision.
3. Do you commit to budgeting sufficient funds to accelerate the draft Active Transportation Network Plan once completed?
Can not commit to budgeting “”sufficient funds”” without specific and concrete numbers and plans. Need to take care of the governance of View Royal first. Without sufficient data, no action for the future can take place. Why the need to accelerate? What is the benefit to everyone who lives in the area? What is the benefit 5 – 10 years down the road?
4. Do you support using neighbourhood-wide traffic calming to create low traffic neighbourhoods with much lower traffic volume with quick build materials?
No. Need to look at the long term implication of this suggestion – particularly its effect on emergency vehicles that need access. Again, want to look at the implications for 5 – 10 years out.
5. How would you support making walking safer and more enjoyable in View Royal?
Regulating the speed of bikers and skaters on the trails. Licensing bikes and making them subject to the rules of the road. More benches where people can enjoy the scenery and rest. More trash receptacles, including recycling.
6. Do you support building a network of all ages and abilities (“AAA”) bike and roll routes throughout View Royal?
Exactly what would be the means to enforce or designate the AAA bike and roll routes? Would these be separate from bike lanes? Would the mean that there would be separate but equal routes? Longer? Shorter? Again, these are lovely thoughts. Need to understand implementation and cost implications before giving “”support””.
7. Do you support welcoming people who use wheelchairs and mobility scooters to use all ages and abilities (AAA) bike and roll routes?
Everyone is entitled to use their modality of choice to get around safely.
8. Do you support rapidly completing the 24/7 bus lanes for BC Transit’s proposed RapidBus route along the Highway 1 / Sooke Road corridor, as well as similar measures along all of BC Transit’s proposed RapidBus routes across the CRD?
Is support required for an action already in process? Again, without knowing the specifics, the budgetary implications and response from the affected residential areas, I can not answer.
9. With the court-imposed deadline of March 14, 2023 to keep the Island Rail Corridor intact, how would you support modern rail service for Vancouver Island?
If there is a feasibility study that endorses it, and if there are funds to support it as well as input from the residents of the affected communities, I’m in favor of rail service on the island.
10. Do you support making transit fares more affordable, both by reducing the cost of passes and individual fares and free or discounted passes for youth, seniors, and people living on low incomes?
And who makes up any revenue shortfall? As long as there is community input in any decision about fares, I can be persuaded to be in favor of reduced costs, passes for seniors and low cost passes for students and people with disabilities.
11. Do you support removing the requirements for off-street vehicle parking from new and infill developments while adding requirements for car share, EV charging, bike and other micromobilty parking, as well as expanding accessible parking?
12. How would you activate and bring more people into public spaces within View Royal, including sidewalks, public squares, streets and parks?
If there are services that people want access to, shade from sun, water fountains for people and pets, restroom access, trash disposal (with recycle bins) and green space.
13. Do you support adding substantively more accessible public bathrooms across View Royal?