1. Do you support re-aligning municipal and regional transportation plans and investments to meet the provincial government’s CleanBC target to “reduce distances travelled in light-duty vehicles by 2030 compared to 2020″?
We will need to ensure that our local vision, our Active Transportation Plan and OCP align with the provincial CleanBC traget and implement a plan. I would support these efforts.
2. Do you support making the default speed limit 30 km/h for streets without centrelines, as Saanich has already committed to doing?
3. Do you commit to budgeting sufficient funds to accelerate the Saanich 2018 Active Transportation Plan?
YES – Saanich’s #1 core competency is SAFETY!
4. Do you support using neighbourhood-wide traffic calming to create low traffic neighbourhoods with much lower traffic volume with quick build materials?
Yes, this is proven effective and implementing these strategies is necessary.
5. How would you support making walking safer and more enjoyable in Saanich?
Sidewalk improvements. Increased controlled cross walks. High vis signage where necessary. Reduced speed limits as mentioned above.
6. Do you support building a network of all ages and abilities (“AAA”) bike and roll routes throughout Saanich?
Yes…. this is essential moving through sustainability and being mindful of climate change – we need to “roll” more.
7. Do you support welcoming people who use wheelchairs and mobility scooters to use all ages and abilities (AAA) bike and roll routes?
Depending on where this is happening. I am in favor of providing options but we need to be realistic to ensure there are spaces safe to do so.
8. Do you support rapidly completing 24/7 bus lanes along McKenzie to UVic for BC Transit’s proposed RapidBus route, as well as similar measures along all proposed RapidBus routes in Saanich?
Yes. This will help to reduce the load on our streets as more people are inspired to travel by bus.
9. With the court-imposed deadline of March 14, 2023 to keep the Island Rail Corridor intact, how would you support modern rail service for Vancouver Island?
I do not feel I know enough about this at this time to comment fairly. I can tell you I know process. I would consult, research, talk with those directly affected, implement change and action and re-evaluate. Thank you for understanding.
10. Do you support making transit fares more affordable, both by reducing the cost of passes and individual fares and free or discounted passes for youth, seniors, and people living on low incomes?
Yes. Encouraging more transit use, will inevitably safe us in other areas.
11. Do you support removing the requirements for off-street vehicle parking from new and infill developments while adding requirements for car share, EV charging, bike and other micromobilty parking, as well as expanding accessible parking?
Yes as it is no longer realistic in most cases. We need to support increasing density and make communities walkable reducing the need for more vehicles.
12. How would you activate and bring more people into public spaces within Saanich, including sidewalks, public squares, streets and parks?
Public meeting and gathering spaces. Public art and opportunities for staging for impromptu entertainment has proven to be successful. On a recent recreation facility tour in Calgary, they demonstrated that having a stand along piano, can draw people together. A random coffee shop, bring people together. A large life-size board game, gave youth a place to gather. Just some ideas….there are many.
13. Do you support adding substantively more accessible public bathrooms across Saanich?
Yes. This is needed to encourage walking, running, riding as now people also have a place to “go”. Thank you again for reaching out.