1. Do you support re-aligning municipal and regional transportation plans and investments to meet the provincial government’s CleanBC target to “reduce distances travelled in light-duty vehicles by 2030 compared to 2020?
The whole paradigm stinks and is a product of another age. We have to think in terms of rapid transit and particularly bus corridors. But If it takes them 30 years to get around to building a bus lane in Victoria I don’t hold out a lot of hope.
2. Do you support making the default speed limit 30 km/h for streets without centrelines?
No. But I would support refreshing the paint on the centreline.
3. Do you commit to budgeting sufficient funds to accelerate the walking, rolling, cycling and public transit parts of the Transportation Master Plan?
It’s a no-brainer we shouldn’t have people walking and riding bikes along busy roads. We don’t need a Master Plan to do that.
4. Do you support using neighbourhood-wide traffic calming to create low traffic neighbourhoods with much lower traffic volume with quick build materials?
5. How would you support making walking safer and more enjoyable in Sooke?
I would put in more sidewalks. A lot more. Vehicles parked on the street force people to walk around them and put them in the path of traffic. For Sooke, I would also push for more street lighting. Right now Sooke streets are a death-trap in the evenings.
6. Do you support building a network of all ages and abilities (“AAA”) bike and roll routes throughout Sooke?
Yes. I do not ride a bike myself but people that do praise the bike lanes in Victoria and the Goose.
7. Do you support welcoming people who use wheelchairs and mobility scooters to use all ages and abilities (AAA) bike and roll routes?
Yes i do actually.
8. Do you support rapidly completing 24/7 bus lanes for BC Transit’s proposed RapidBus route along the Highway 1 / Sooke Road corridor, and do you building ‘queue jumper’ bus lanes (with transit signal priority as needed) at key locations on Sooke Road between Langford and Sooke?
Totally and completely.
9. With the court-imposed deadline of March 14, 2023 to keep the Island Rail Corridor intact, how would you support modern rail service for Vancouver Island?
I would pull up the track on the E&N corridor and use it to construct a rapid bus line.
10. Do you support making transit fares more affordable, both by reducing the cost of passes and individual fares and free or discounted passes for youth, seniors, and people living on low incomes?
I would just get rid of fares altogether. Young people are the ones that will be paying tomorrow’s taxes. I don’t know why we have to cheap-out on them today.
11. Do you support removing the requirements for off-street vehicle parking from new and infill developments while adding requirements for car share, EV charging, bike and other micromobilty parking, as well as expanding accessible parking?
No. Street parking is an asset and underrated. I would charge to park on the streets. Users should required to buy a yearly pass for the privilege. And since I’m on a roll here, I would also raise the price of parking in Victoria. It’s a steal compared to most cities.
12. How would you activate and bring more people into public spaces within Sooke, including sidewalks, public squares, streets and parks?
They seem to be doing that on their own thanks a lot.
13. Do you support adding substantively more accessible public bathrooms across Sooke?
I have lived in small towns in Saskatchewan with more public washrooms than Victoria. One washroom in Centennial Square is ridiculous. We encourage people to eat and drink downtown. All that food has to end up somewhere.